The QS World University Ranking for 2022 positions ETH Zurich 8
in the world out of more than 1,650 institutions considered. According to QS, ETH has consistently ranked among the top ten universities worldwide for the past eight consecutive years. Overtaken by University of Cambridge and Imperial College London, this year ETH Zurich shares the 8
spot in the global ranking with University College London. While the university’s overall score actually increased this year from 95 to 95.4 (out of 100), the competitive nature of rankings resulted in a drop by two places from its former 6
place rank in the 2021 list.
The “nitty gritty” details
There are various university rankings, each with its own methodology. The scores for academic reputation, faculty citations, and faculty/student ratio together weigh heavily accounting for 80% of the QS World University Ranking result. The remaining 20% relies upon the scores for employer reputation, international faculty, and international students. ETH Zurich’s faculty citations score in the 2022 ranking noticeably increased by more than 3.5% and international students were also up by 1%. Academic reputation and international faculty scores remained constant; however, employer reputation and the faculty to student ratio declined slightly.